Today is my birthday. I am 33.
I'm not really one to freak out about getting older, and this birthday is no different. So what if I'm 33? I have a few more wrinkles, and a few more pounds. But overall, I don't feel any different than I did when I was 25 (except maybe a bit more tired - yes, a bit more tired).
It's funny how birthdays change when you get older. Or maybe it's when you have kids. I'm not sure. But they just aren't such a big deal anymore. Gone are the days where I rally all my friends together for a happy hour and secretly tally who remembered my birthday and who didn't. At this stage, who cares? Half the time I can't even remember how old I am. I think once you get to the stage where you have to mentally subtract your birth year from the current year to figure out your age, the era of gilded birthdays are over. So if you are reading this later this week, and you realize you forgot my birthday, and you feel bad - don't. Really.
The overblown presents and parties may be a thing of the past, but that doesn't mean I won't try and make this day as close to perfect as possible. I might as well milk it! So my plan today is to do the following:
1) Lay in bed an extra half hour while hubby takes care of the kids (check - thanks to hubby).
2) Put Casey down for morning nap, and return to bed with french vanilla decaf (check).
3) Continue reading the Hunger Games.
4) Go to the grocery store for Thanksgiving dinner shopping (this would normally suck, but I am putting a positive spin on it by allowing myself to buy a Tony's frozen pizza for lunch).
5) Pick up Braden and then allow Braden and Casey to watch as much TV as they want prior to their nap, so that I can finish the Hunger Games.
6) Return to bed during Braden and Casey's nap and watch last night's Real Housewives of Atlanta, and will them to sleep until at last 4:00pm. Please.
7) Gather family together to go to my favorite restaurant of all time - Chili's. I may charade as a foodie, but at the end of the day, there is nothing better than Chili's nachos. (Each individual nacho has its own cheese and toppings!)
8) Blow out the candles to my birthday cookie cake. Is there anything better than a cookie cake?
9) Relax with a glass of champagne and the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.
10) Stop writing this blog so I can get to numbers 1-9 above.
It's going to be a good day! And by all indications, another good year. Here's to 3-squared.